VICTORY!!! Our Fountain Roundabout is safe.
At Full Council last night (18th October), almost 200 residents sat in the public gallery for the final chance to have their voice heard. Then, at the eleventh hour, Kingston Council issued a statement proclaiming they were backing down and scrapping the Fountain scheme.
Thanks to the support of local residents, the Malden Independent Community Organisation successfully forced the administration to backtrack on their previous aim to bulldoze ahead with the scheme, despite the majority of local residents being in staunch opposition to the scheme. Together, we have shown Kingston Council (your representatives) that we meant what we said.
ALL councillors voted to scrap the plan – a unanimous decision.
THANK YOU to all those who:
– Joined us on our march, covered by Radio Jackie and the BBC
– Signed our call in, 870-strong, which successfully forced the scheme to be scrapped
– Signed our original petition, 579-strong, which put pressure on the Council
– Attended our public meeting
– Attended Residents Committee in September
– Who joined us tonight at Guildhall for the final decision!
– Delivered leaflets!
– Joined MICO to support our campaign
– Wrote to their councillors
– …and helped in various other ways!!!
“Without your support, this would not have been possible. This has not been an easy four months, and has been an uphill struggle. We’ve stood firm, and do you know? It’s certainly been worth it. This has not come about because of opposition from any political party – this has happened because of local residents sticking up for their local area. Tonight we ought to be celebrating – this is our victory. This is what happens when independent residents unite, fight for their local area, and force change. We can make a difference – together.” — James Giles, Chair of MICO
We won the argument at every stage and, only because of opposition from residents and MICO, we won the campaign.
This isn’t the end however…
– Plans have just been released for the Kingston to New Malden cycle route. Please send us your thoughts on these as we formulate our stance over the next week. Find out more at www.consult.kingston.gov.uk
For now however, celebrations are in order – only because of you did we win, showing we are stronger together.